Unit testing is a simple practice that can be explained in one sentence: each method should have an associated test that verifies its correctness. This idea is very simple. What is amazing with unit testing is how powerful this simple practice actually is. At first, unit testing seems like a simple approach to prevent coding mistakes. Its main benefit seems obvious:
Unit testing guarantees that the code does what it should.
This is actually very good, since it’s remarkably easy to make programming mistakes: typo in SQL statements, improper boundary conditions, unreachable code, etc. Unit tests will detect these flaws. Shortly after, you will realize that it’s way easier to test methods that are short and simple. This confers to unit testing a second benefit:
Unit testing favors clean code.
This is also very good. Unit testing forces developers to name things and break down code with more care. This will increase the readability of the code base. Now, armed with a growing suite of tests, you will feel more secure to change business logic, at least when the change has local effects. This is a third benefit of unit testing:
Unit testing provides the safety net that enables changes
This is excellent. Fear is one of the prime factor that leads to code rot. With unit tests, you can ensure that you don’t break existing behavior, and can cleanly refactor or extend the code base. You might object that many changes are not always localized, and that unit tests don’t help in such case. But remember: a non-local changes is nothing more than a sequence of local changes. Changes at the local level represent maybe 80% of the work; the remaining 20% is about making sure that the local changes fit together. Unit tests help for the 80% of the work. Integration tests and careful thinking will do for the other 20%. As you become enamoured with unit testing, you will try to cover every line you write with unit tests. You will make it a personal challenge to achieve full coverage every time. This isn’t always easy. You will embrace dependency inversion to decouple objects, and become proficient with mocks to abstract dependencies. You will systematically separate infrastructure code from business logic. With time, your production code will be organized so that your unit tests can always obtain an instance of the object to test easily. Along the way, you will have noticed that the classes you write are more focused and easier to understand. This is the fourth benefit of unit testing:
Unit testing improves software design
This is amazing! Unit testing will literally highlight design smells. If writing unit tests for a class is painful, your code is waiting to be refactored. Maybe it depends on global state (Yes, I look at you Singleton), maybe it depends on the environment (Yes, I look at you java.lang.System), maybe it does too much (Yes, I look at you Blob), maybe it relies too much on other classes (Yes, I look at you Feature Envy). Unit testing is “a microscope for object interactions.” Unit testing will force you to think very carefully about your dependencies and minimize them as much as possible. It will naturally promote the SOLID principles, and lead to better a decomposition of the software.
Honestly, I find it amazing that such a simple practice can lead to so many benefits. There are many practices out there that improve software development in some way. What makes unit testing special is the ridiculous asymmetry between its simplicity and its outcome.